As 2019 comes to a close, I have been reflecting on self care. This is something that has been around for a while and everyone has their own way of practicing self care.
This is what self care means to me and it’s not in a particular order.
- Watching films – I love films from Disney to horror. I even watch films over and over again. I like this as it gives me some predictability in a world that’s not predictable.
- Reading books – I enjoy reading as it helps me to relax. I enjoy paranormal romance and my favourite authors are Sherrilyn McQueen, Kresely Cole and JR Ward to name a few. I also like Stephen King.
- Listening to audiobooks and music – I find this relaxing and I often do this when I’m traveling or having lunch at work. My favourite music is Disney songs, musicals and some Japanese music.
- Skincare routine – I began my skincare journey early this year and I have gotten into the habit of looking after my skin especially as I am living in Japan which means I spend more time with air conditioning, during the summer and heating during the winter. This can affect your skin. This helps me to relax and unwind.
- Drinking coffee – I enjoy drinking coffee and have done for years. I usually drink multiple coffees a day but recently it’s lessened to about 3. This is part of my daily routine and it’s not going to change although I do drink Matcha tea/latte as well.
- Treating myself – one occasion I like to treat myself to something like a hair cut at Nalu76 hair salon in Omotesando, Tokyo or a cinema trip. This makes me feel good as I am working hard and a little treat here or there shows I am doing well.
- Talking to family and friends – while in Japan, I have kept in contact with my family and friends to let them know what I am up to and sharing my wonderful experiences in Japan. This has kept me grounded and gives them some peace of mind that I am doing well and happy.
- Travel – I love visiting different places and meeting new people. I am looking forward to seeing more of Japan in 2020.
This is what self care means to me and as 2019 comes to an end try and think about what self care means to you and let me know